Sunday, April 12, 2009

On a first date . . . who pays?

So, I finally did it. I finally ventured out on my first date in my newly single life. I have been involved on an internet dating site, and after a few phone conversations, he asked me to dinner. I agreed.

Now, I'm a person with a whole lot of understanding. So I understood that I had to drive, and pick him up, because he is, let's say "in-between vehicles" at the moment. Really, had he not been, I probably would have suggested just meeting somewhere. And I understood when he suggested we go to a restaurant near where we grew up, and where he worked throughout high school (I'm post 10 yr reunion, btw). I figured his home turf would make him feel more comfortable.

So, the waitress approaches our table and asks for our drink order. He speaks first (okay?) and orders a water with lemon (okay?). So I follow suit this Saturday evening (8:30pm) and order a diet coke at this italian restaurant. Should I have ordered a glass of wine like I normally would? I'm not sure! This is my first date in a LONG time and I was uncomfortable ordering something to drink when I was sitting with the waterboy.

We split an appetizer, when I ask what is good (since this is his favorite restaurant), he proceeds to read everything on the menu to me (thanks I can read!). We order, the food is pretty good, then the check comes. Now mind you, during our phone conversations throughout the prior two weeks, he has bragged incessently about working hard, and earning promotions and making a great living. Not to mention, there is no way our bill is over $30.00. And he asked me to dinner, and asked me to drive! He then picks up the tab, and says I'll get this and you can get whatever we choose to do after.

Okay, this is where I need help! At this point, I'm not really interested in after, but don't know how to say so. And quite frankly am in shock. I, quite frankly, didn't expect to pitch in for date #1. Now let me defend myself.

First off, I am not sure if up until now I have been lucky, or what, but I have never (even as a teenager) been asked to pay for a portion of the first date. I however, always sincerely offer, and have on multiple occasions paid the tip, etc. However, I am really turned off at this point that it was asked of me. Asked of me by the guy who brags about his success at work, who asked me out to dinner, and who subsequently asked me to drive.

Any ideas here folks would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment